St. Francis College is pleased to announce Dr. Miguel Martinez-Saenz as the 19th President in the College's 160 year history.
Health Promotions and Sciences
Help Others Live a Healthier Life
The road to a healthier life follows two paths:
- Do things that are good for you
- Stay away from things that are not
As a Health Promotion major you will learn how to teach others to stay on these paths with instruction on the value of good nutrition, fitness and exercise, stress management and leisure activities. The science behind teaching others to live healthy lives.
At the same time you'll learn about the importance of moderating or eliminating risky behavior, and how to teach people to make good personal decisions and behavioral choices.Students accomplish these goals through hands-on experience like running an annual Health Fair on campus. They also engage in service learning and
internships at organizations and institutions like New York Cares, the American Cancer Society, and Methodist Hospital.
While many Health Promotion majors go on to graduate training in public health and community health, graduates also find rewarding careers in local, state and national community health agencies, city and state government agencies, hospitals, schools, nursing homes and more.
Other students pursue professional training in fields such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, medicine or nursing
The Health Promotion and Science major provides a fundamental and thorough education in the liberal arts tradition while concurrently providing pre-professional preparation in the field of health and wellness education. Mastery of the liberal arts core as well as communication skills built sequentially into the major curriculum support the graduate as he or she enters and adapts to changes in the professional domain and contributes to his or her success as a mature and responsible citizen beyond graduation. The program is designed to prepare students for careers immediately after graduation and/or graduate school and professional training.
Every year Forbes offers prospective college students and their parents a way to find the best colleges for their money, and every year St. Francis College is offered as one of the choices. With the release of the 2017 rankings, St. Francis has now been ranked one of America's Top Colleges all 10 years that Forbes has published the list.
St. Francis College Professor Emily Horowitz, with co-editor, law professor Larry Dubin, J.D., are fighting to make the legal system more fair for people on the autism spectrum and with developmental disabilities through the release of their new book, Caught in the Web of the Criminal Justice System: Autism, Developmental Disabilities, and Sex Offenses (Jessica Kingsley Publishers).
It was the perfect day for an outdoor graduation at Brooklyn Bridge Park, as almost 400 St. Francis College students and thousands of friends and family celebrated the College's Spring 2017 Commencement, Wednesday, May 24.
The St. Francis College Healthy Habits Club and Center for Entrepreneurship hosted the Third Annual Healthcare Entrepreneur Hackathon April 21, 2017 which featured research presentations by students as well as entrepreneurial pitches by students looking to introduce their ideas into the health care marketplace.
- Prepare Health Promotion majors for national certification as health education specialists.
- Prepare students for graduate study.
- Prepare students for entry into the allied health or health and fitness career professions.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge, skills and behaviors appropriate to entry-level positions in health and fitness organizations.
- Students will demonstrate respect and understanding of diverse populations and achieve a level of cultural competency appropriate for professional working environments.
- Students will learn to work constructively and collaboratively in a working/research group or committee.
- Students will gain “hands-on” experience working and/or volunteering in a professional work environment as part of a “service-learning” or internship experience.
- Students will investigate, analyze and write a well-documented research paper based on a complex health problem.
- Students will formulate a comprehensive oral presentation.
- Students will develop, achieve, and sustain a commitment to personal and professional growth.