The spirit moved civil rights pioneer Bernard LaFayette to end his talk at St. Francis College on February 21, 2017 with a song. From original Freedom Rider with now Congressman John Lewis, to a close confidant and organizer with Martin Luther King, Jr., Bernard LaFayette has spent his lifetime fighting for justice and equality through non-violence.
International Cultural Studies
A Variety of Perspectives on our Common Culture
From Banking and Commerce to Government and the Arts, a degree in International Cultural Studies prepares you to take a seat at the table in our globalized world.
A degree in International Cultural Studies will prepare you to enter an increasingly globalized economy and job market.
Your St. Francis College professors will teach you about the integral role culture plays in our interconnected world. The major offers three areas of study:
- International Business
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- or Western Europe.
The department also offers courses in foreign languages and fine arts. In addition, by taking advantage of our study abroad programs, internship opportunities, and a variety of cultural events that use New York City as an extended classroom, you will gain real-world experience and a competitive edge.
The department’s mission is to participate in and contribute to the College’s mission by offering, through our various courses, programs, and majors, a fundamental and thorough education in the liberal arts and concurrently by correlating the benefits of a liberal education with specific major-field studies (e.g., International Cultural Studies).
Through its courses in the General Education Program, the department strives to create a firm foundation for students’ education, thus providing them with fundamentals for living a fulfilling life. While pursuing their separate major programs, students also are exposed to the humanistic values of a liberal education as signified by the department’s role in the general education program.
Through course offerings in foreign languages, the fine arts, and international cultural studies, the students learn to appreciate the complexities of the multicultural society in which we live. At the same time, the department supports the College curriculum by contributing to the educational
Continuing a new tradition at St. Francis College, more than 60 future nurses, the largest class ever at the College, were welcomed into the four-year Nursing BSN program at the Third Annual Nursing White Coat Ceremony with a Keynote Address by State Assemblymember Jo Anne Simon on Friday, February 3.
As she walked down the aisles, shaking hands with dozens of the almost 700 people who came to see her speak, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor talked about an important realization she'd come to since joining the highest court in the country.
Students coming from families with low incomes have a great chance of making it big if they attend St. Francis College, writes the New York Times in an assessment of a major new report conducted by The Equality of Opportunity Project.
St. Francis College welcomed Alexandra Pierre, a Re-Entry Counselor for the Spring 2017 Senior Citizen and Institute for Peace & Justice Le true Series on January 31, 2017 to talk about Mothers and Prison.
Earning a spot in the St. Francis College Nursing Program while also being President of the Model U.N. Club shows that junior Saskia Hosein '18 knows how to balance her school work. But SFCTV Reporter Vann Brewer '17 tells us, Saskia is also a success on an international scale.
- Provide courses in foreign languages, fine arts, and international cultural studies that complement and help complete the College’s liberal arts curriculum and which, in the case of art and music, serve as essential elements of the General Education Program.
- Help prepare students in ICS and Spanish majors for meaningful careers in a broad range of areas, such as business, government, law, teaching, and social services.
Provide minor concentrations in music, fine arts, foreign languages, and international studies as a significant supplement to the student’s chosen major.
- Develop in all students an appreciation of cultural and linguistic diversity and offer an in-depth understanding of those cultures the students choose to investigate.
Develop in all students, particularly the ICS and Spanish majors, the knowledge and skills needed for graduate studies.
- Enrich students’ academic experiences at the College through a wide variety of cultural experiences, such as concerts on and off campus, museum tours, architectural field trips, and other social events that draw upon the city’s cultural richness.
- Offer to departmental majors and interested students from other departments the opportunity for internships and study abroad in contexts appropriate to their academic interest.
- Students will effectively demonstrate an understanding of concepts from their courses in written and oral form.
- Students will analyze works of art and music using the appropriate vocabulary of each discipline.
- Students will speak, write, read, and exhibit an understanding of languages, cultures, and literature in Spanish, French, or Italian.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to live in and understand a foreign culture for a period of a month or a year.
- St. Francis College Programs of Study 85
Students will derive valuable work experience in an internship that could lead not only to future career opportunities and but also to an engagement in the global community.