Valedictorian Christine Muraco '17, Commencement Speaker Evelyn Wolfe, Interim President Timothy Houlihan and the Winter Commencement Class of 2017 made for an amazing day January 9, 2017 as they rang in the new year with almost 100 new graduates of St. Francis College.
Make the World a Healthier Place
A sound body leads to a sound mind. Becoming a Physical Education teacher is an amazing way to reach thousands of children and help make the world a healthier place.
A sound body leads to a sound mind.
The Physical Education Major is part of the Education Department and boosts a highly successful track record, putting many students on the path for a variety of careers.
- Psychology of Sport,
- Motor Learning,
- Adapted PE
- The study of human movement,
- Exercise physiology,
- Legal concepts,
- Practical teaching skills,
- and, Assessment of physical education
It is with great sorrow that St. Francis College announces the passing of President Brendan J. Dugan, a graduate of the College class of 1968 on December 18, 2016. He was 69.
NYC Smoke-Free collaborated with St. Francis College in Brooklyn Heights to encourage smokers on campus and in the larger community to quit for one day and to raise awareness of the importance of smoke-free protections in creating environments where quit attempts are more likely to be successful.
St. Francis College proudly launched a new honor society chapter on campus, Alpha Lambda Delta, on November 11, with the induction of more than 100 students who achieved academic excellence in their freshmen year at the College.
More academic accolades for St. Francis College, this time as Value Colleges ranked St. Francis 47 in the nation on the organization's Top 50 Best Value Colleges list.
In the latest U.S. News & World Report rankings, St. Francis made the list in seven categories: Best Regional Colleges, best value, Least Debt, Campus Ethnic Diversity, Best Colleges for Veterans, Economic Diversity, and international diversity.
The goals of the St. Francis Physical Education Program are to prepare teachers who are:
- Familiar with the New York State Learning Standards in Physical Education.
- Familiar with current research and practices in Physical Education.
- Disposed to be reflective, caring learners who strive for excellence in teaching.
- Models of health and fitness and active, informed citizens who are committed to lifelong learning.
- Committed to continually increase their knowledge of content and pedagogy.
- Determined to create a classroom environment where health, fitness, and good sportsmanship are a priority.
- Effective communicators to learners, parents, and peers.
Advocates for health, fitness, and integrated learning.