Home |
Admissions | International Students

Education with a Focus
International Students

St. Francis College Admissions
Office of Admissions
180 Remsen Street
Brooklyn Heights, NY 11201

International Students

St. Francis College is proud of the diversity of our student body. Our international students come from all parts of the globe, including Eastern Europe, South America, the Far East and the Caribbean.
Students who are not United States citizens or United States permanent residents may apply to St. Francis College. We are authorized by Federal law to enroll non-immigrant aliens for the purpose of obtaining a degree. Students are required to file an application, submit transcripts of high school record and have proof of high school completion. Also, if the student is an international Transfer student, transcripts from latest institution are required. Transcripts that are not translated to the English numeric system and/or language, must be translated through World Educational Services (WES) at http://www.wes.org or Globe Language Services, Inc at www.globelanguage.com. In addition, students whose native language is not English must also follow the requirements for Foreign Language Students.

St. Francis College fully complies with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Due to the amount of time required to properly enter a student’s information into SEVIS, and because of the large quantity of documentation, international students must present documents well in advance of their anticipated entrance date. For more information contact Chad Lectura at 718.489.5246 

My admissions check list:
  • Completed Application
  • Transcripts from high school (translated)
  • Proof of high school completion (diploma)
  • TOEFL exam scores (information found in Catalogue)
  • Translated transcripts from any college/institute (if applicable)
All documents, including financial statements, submitted to St. Francis College for the purpose of obtaining a SEVIS I-20 must be translated into English prior to submitting. 

Click on the Links Below to Learn More:

Working as an F-1 Student

How to work as an F-1 International Student

Eligibility Requirements

Different requirements exist for each type of F-1 employment, but there are basic requirements which must be met for any F-1 employment:

  • You must currently be in valid F-1 status and in good academic standing while engaged in a full course of study, except during summer and school holidays.
  • Once employment is authorized, you must properly maintain your eligibility or you will lose your right to continue employment.

Types of F-1 Student Employment

On-Campus Employment
F-1 students are permitted to work on the college’s campus. This work is part-time, limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session or full-time during holiday and vacation periods. Work on-campus is a benefit of F-1 visa status and no additional authorization is necessary.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
This is employment that is an integral part of an established curriculum. CPT is only available prior to your completion of studies. There is no application fee and this type of employment must be approved by the International Student Coordinator.

There are two types of CPT:

1)    Required part of program- your program requires employment in the field of study to graduate

2)    Non-required part of program- the practical experience is for credit and needs to be directly related to your field of study. You must be enrolled for the course while engaging in this type of CPT.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
This is employment authorization that gives F-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to practical work experience off campus. Most students are eligible to apply for 12 months of OPT. Students who have received a degree in government designated STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) may qualify for an additional 17-month period. You may file for OPT during last semester of senior year with International Student Coordinator.

I-20 Application process: Initial and Transfer Students

It is extremely important to maintain your F-1 status while in the U.S.  

The following key points of responsibility are what you must do in order to stay “in-status.”   Each student’s situation is different; therefore, we recommend you schedule an individual appointment so we can address your questions.
  • You must report to our office immediately upon arrival.  Please bring a color photocopy of all identification pages in your Visa and Passport and a black and white photocopy of your I-20.
  • For your first entry for initial school attendance, the school listed on your visa and I-20 must be the same, and that is the school the student must intend to attend.
  • Each academic semester you are required to register for a full course of study, which is a minimum of 12 credits.  The only exceptions are during official school breaks and if you have been approved in advance by the International Student Advisor for a reduced course load.
  • Make normal progress towards completing your course of study, by completing studies before the expiration of the program completion date on Form I-20.
  • Refrain from off-campus employment unless authorized by International Student Coordinator. All internships and applications for severe economic hardship must be approved by the International Student Services office.
  • Ensure the program completion date on your I-20 accurately reflects the date you are expected to obtain your higher education degree or your current major field of study.
  • Keep your I-20 valid by following proper procedures to change your education level, program of study, extend your stay, and/or transfer to another school.
  • Report a change of address within 10 days of the change so that SEVIS can be updated.
  • After your completion of studies, you are authorized to remain in the US for no longer than 60 days.  This grace period does not apply if you have followed the correct procedures for applying for optional practical training, advancing to the next higher education level, or have initiated a school transfer.
  • Abide by rules requiring disclosure of information and prohibition on criminal activity.
  • Ensure you follow any special reporting requirements requested by the INS.
Remember: You must maintain a valid passport and I-20 at all times!

Apply NowVisit CampusDirections to SFC Campus

©   St. Francis College. All rights reserved.
180 Remsen Street, Brooklyn Heights, New York, 11201. 718.522.2300


powered by finalsite