Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Information
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay for their college education in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which you begin study, an annual TAP award can be up to $5,000. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back. The grant money comes directly to St. Francis College after the award has been certified. For more information on applying for TAP and for other important information, please visit the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website.
- TAP Application Process
- Tap Eligibility
- Standards of Academic Progress
- Students With Disabilities
- TAP Certification Process
- Important Codes and Deadlines
You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list St. Francis as your college (Code 002820).
After you confirm the FAFSA submission, you may file the electronic TAP Application online by clicking on the New York State resident link and completing the TAP on the Web application. The code for St. Francis on the TAP form is 0715.
After successful completion of the TAP application, you will receive an email message alerting you to check the status of your application. Processing may take up to 10 business days. You will not receive an email message until your electronic application is processed. Visit HESC for more information. For assistance with your FAFSA, contact the Office of Student Financial Services.
To be eligible for TAP, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Be a legal resident of New York State
- Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
- Be a full-time student taking 12 or more credits per semester* (see other HESC programs)
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing
- Have at least a cumulative "C" average after receipt of two annual payments
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
- Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC or on any repayment of state awards
- Meet income eligibility limitations
- You must meet the NYS Education Department Commissioner’s Guidelines for standards of academic progress
- SFC’s TAP code is 0715
- SFC’s FAFSA code is 002820
- Payment Application To receive TAP or other state awards or scholarships, you must submit your application on or before May 1 of the academic year for which assistance is sought.
- College Code Changes Changes to college codes must be submitted by July 15 following the academic year for which the change is being made.
- Other Changes Deadline Other changes must be submitted by May 1 of the academic year for which assistance is being sought, or within 45 days of issuance of an award approval or denial notice by HESC, whichever is later. HESC will deny awards to students who fail to submit a timely application or response.