Imploring the graduates to 'Stand up and yell," WNBC 4 New York Anchor and Reporter David Ushery commended the Class of 2018 for overcoming obstacles and doing the work necessary to reach Spring Commencement on May 17 at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island.
Health Promotions and Sciences
Help Others Live a Healthier Life
The road to a healthier life follows two paths:
- Do things that are good for you
- Stay away from things that are not
As a Health Promotion major you will learn how to teach others to stay on these paths with instruction on the value of good nutrition, fitness and exercise, stress management and leisure activities. The science behind teaching others to live healthy lives.
At the same time you'll learn about the importance of moderating or eliminating risky behavior, and how to teach people to make good personal decisions and behavioral choices.Students accomplish these goals through hands-on experience like running an annual Health Fair on campus. They also engage in service learning and
internships at organizations and institutions like New York Cares, the American Cancer Society, and Methodist Hospital.
While many Health Promotion majors go on to graduate training in public health and community health, graduates also find rewarding careers in local, state and national community health agencies, city and state government agencies, hospitals, schools, nursing homes and more.
Other students pursue professional training in fields such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, medicine or nursing.
The Health Promotion and Science major provides a fundamental and thorough education in the liberal arts tradition while concurrently providing pre-professional preparation in the field of health and wellness education. Mastery of the liberal arts core as well as communication skills built sequentially into the major curriculum support the graduate as he or she enters and adapts to changes in the professional domain and contributes to his or her success as a mature and responsible citizen beyond graduation. The program is designed to prepare students for careers immediately after graduation and/or graduate school and professional training.
Putting together rankings from various publishers and student reviews from a variety of sources, the organization, College Consensus, has named St. Francis College as the 6th Best Regional College in the North.
Health Care institutions make up the top five employers in New York City and New York State and now St. Francis College offers a way for you to take advantage of the numerous jobs in the industry with its new Master's Degree in Management.
Leading by example, Valerie Kaufmann '18 will share her successes and hopes to make the world a better place when she delivers her Valedictory Address on Thursday, May 17 at the Ford Amphitheater on the Coney Island Boardwalk at 12:00pm.
A surprise honor for retiring Accounting Professor Geoffrey Horlick was one of the highlights of St. Francis College's 134th Charter Day Convocation held April 27, 2018
The mission of St. Francis College to provide a high quality private college education at affordable tuition continues to earn attention and accolades as Forbes names St. Francis to its newly revealed list of America's Best Value Colleges.
- Prepare Health Promotion majors for national certification as health education specialists.
- Prepare students for graduate study.
- Prepare students for entry into the allied health or health and fitness career professions.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge, skills and behaviors appropriate to entry-level positions in health and fitness organizations.
- Students will demonstrate respect and understanding of diverse populations and achieve a level of cultural competency appropriate for professional working environments.
- Students will learn to work constructively and collaboratively in a working/research group or committee.
- Students will gain “hands-on” experience working and/or volunteering in a professional work environment as part of a “service-learning” or internship experience.
- Students will investigate, analyze and write a well-documented research paper based on a complex health problem.
- Students will formulate a comprehensive oral presentation.
- Students will develop, achieve, and sustain a commitment to personal and professional growth.