Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at SFC
St. Francis College is committed to maintaining a diverse, welcoming community where everyone belongs.
SFC continues to increase access and equity for historically underserved students, faculty and staff, to improve campus climate for all members of the campus community and to infuse inclusive excellence initiatives into the curriculum and co-curriculum. We commit to redoubling our efforts to be a caring Franciscan community, to be upstanders for safety, security, inclusion, and justice. Moreover, we commit to unlearning our biases, to end daily expressions of discrimination - big and small, overt and subtle. We commit to lifelong learning and action. Pope Francis recently said, “We cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism and exclusion in any form and yet claim to defend the sacredness of human life.
Aligned with our Franciscan mission, when a young person graduates from St. Francis College, they should not only have achieved academic milestones, but have seen holistic growth as a human, understanding how to lift up oneself as well as those who have additional barriers in their path. Our students must also be prepared to break down these barriers for anyone who comes after and challenge our leaders who refuse to correct these societal failures.
SFC must be a space for diverse thought exchange where every student, especially our Black and Brown students, knows they are valued and welcome. Without this, our education falls short of its goal, and falls short of our commitment to each and every Terrier.
Lifting Every Voice, we need to sing proudly that although we are a small College, we have the capacity to imagine and most importantly, to create a community where all our brothers and sisters have an opportunity to live a dignified life. All members of the St. Francis College community take seriously the command to “love our neighbor,” and it is not something that we only espouse, it is something we are prepared to enact.
To that end, we aspire to ensure that all members of our community
- Denounce racism, bigotry, harassment and discrimination
- Affirm the dignity of every person
- Celebrate, honor and respect difference
- Challenge the nexus of power and privilege that create barriers to equitable participation at St. Francis College and society more broadly
If you or someone you know is or may be the victim of any form of sexual misconduct, bias or discrimination, the College strongly urges you to seek immediate assistance. Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from:
- Campus Security - 718.489.5333 or, if on campus, extension 5333. Visit https://www.sfc.edu/studentlife/safety.
- New York State Hotline for Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence - 800.942.6906
- New York State Office of Victim Services - 800.247.8035
- Local Police (84th Precinct) and Emergency Assistance - Call 911
- Safe Horizon Rape and Sexual Assault Hotline - 866.689.HELP (4357)
- Safe Horizon Domestic Violence Hotline - 800.621.HOPE (4673)
- The College has a partnership with Beth Israel Hospital
- NYPD Sex Crimes Report Hotline - 212.267.7273