Robert J. McGuire Scholarship
The Robert J. McGuire Scholarship was established in 2015 to support St. Francis College’s mission of making possible the gift of education and opportunity for our future leaders. Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of Mr. Fred Wilpon, chairman and CEO of the NY Mets, and his wife Judy, as well as other generous McGuire benefactors, the program has already provided more than $1.3 million in scholarships to 60 students. The program provides youth economic opportunities, offers workforce readiness, encourages entrepreneurial thinking and certainly helps the recipients acquire the knowledge, skills and tools needed to become successful community and business leaders.
St. Francis College President, Dr. Miguel Martinez-Saenz, the SFC Board of Trustees and Administration, in partnership with Fred & Judy Wilpon and other benefactors, have committed to providing additional financial support to 30 new students for the 2018-2019 school year which will grow the number of scholars to 90 in September 2018!
I am privileged to be part of this wonderful effort to provide scholarship assistance to deserving students at St Francis College. There is no more powerful combination than a great educational institution, a wonderful group of donors led by Fred and Judy Wilpon and an outstanding group of young scholars for whom the future is bright. - Robert J. McGuire, Benefactor & Namesake of the Robert J. McGuire Scholarship -
- Additional scholarship opportunities of us to $9,000
- $1,000 book stipend
- Opportunity to take a free summer or intercession course ($2,580 value)
- Dedicated personal academic advisor
- Invitation to exclusive McGuire Scholar events
- Networking and Internship Opportunities
Who is Eligible?
- First time freshman entering in the fall semester
- High School students with a GPA of 85 or above
- Family Adjusted Gross Income of $125,000 or less
How to Apply:
- Submit your application to St. Francis College
- Complete and submit your Scholarship Day Essay
- Complete and submit the Robert J. McGuire Scholarship Application
- Attend our Scholarship Day event to participate in an interview with a member of the McGuire Scholarship Committee
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Priority Application Deadline: Friday, January 15
- Priority Scholarship Day: Saturday, January 23
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 6
- Scholarship Day: Saturday, March 13
**All students apply to the Robert J. McGuire Scholarship will have their essays automatically entered into our Scholarship Day Competition. All essays will be reviewed for the chance to win one of four full tuition scholarships**
St. Francis College has many high school partnerships in New York City. To learn more about partnership opportunities with St. Francis College, please contact Admissions at 718.489.5200.
Receiving a scholarship is only one benefit to being a McGuire Scholar. McGuire Scholars participate in a summer orientation program and have a dedicated advisor to help plan their academic and career goals from the beginning of their studies until graduation. Scholars also receive a book stipend, invitations to special events on and off campus throughout the year including a Mets game at Citi Field, lectures given by MLB Commissioner Robert Manfred, NY Mets legendary pitcher Ron Darling, and so much more. These networking opportunities create unique educational experiences and sometimes leads to internships and placement.
Being an endowed scholar has allowed me to be a better version of myself for the community, my peers, and others who need a source for motivation. With this opportunity, I know there are endless possibilities and something big waiting for me at the end of the finish line. Not only a diploma, but the best version of me. – Miasia Kinloch ’19, McGuire Scholar -