Explore Science This Spring (Funded by National Grid)
Interested in the sciences? Want to receive hands-on experience in a college environment? Then SFC’s Spring Science Academy is the place for you!
The Spring Science Academy is a grant funded by National Grid and led by St. Francis College faculty and student mentors. This free program is designed to inspire upcoming scientists and promote energy efficiency in young minds. The sessions will run in February, March and April and will focus on topics such as global climate change, pollution, extinction, biodiversity and habitat loss.
In-person lectures, field trips and laboratory experimentation are included.
Spring Science Academy dates and times:
1. Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 4 - 6 p.m.: National Grid Representative Presentation on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
2. Tuesday, March 15, 2022, 4 - 6 p.m.: Microscopic Analysis of Organisms in St. Francis College’s Biology Laboratory – Talk on Biodiversity, Extinction & Conservation of Species
3. Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 4 - 6 p.m.: Trip to Metrotech Sustainability Hub – Discuss Sustainability and Renewable Energy
4. Saturday, April 23, 2022, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.: Celebrate Earth Day and volunteer with the SFC Environmental Club – Plant flowers and vegetable seeds for the college’s greenhouse and volunteer at a park cleanup. Discuss pollution’s effect on the environment.
5. Saturday, April 30, 2022, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.: NY Aquarium Field Trip
Those interested should complete the following form by Tuesday, February 1, 2022.