CARES Act Student Emergency Funding
Signed into law on March 27, the CARES Act (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act) includes aid to assist higher education institutions in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) includes aid for students and institutions. Colleges must use at least 50 percent of awarded funds for emergency financial aid grants to students.
St. Francis College was allocated $2,673,260 in CARES Act funding from the U.S. Department of Education. At least $1,336,630 of this allocation must be awarded for emergency financial aid grants to students. This allocation was determined using a federal formula based on the total student enrollment and is weighted for the number of Pell grant eligible students. In accordance with federal guidelines, SFC signed and returned to the USDOE the Certification and Agreement regarding these funds and our goal is to assist students with the greatest needs and assist as many students as possible.
At this time, SFC will distribute CARES Act grants of up to $775 to all eligible students. Eligible students will be informed via e-mail and directed to apply for funds. The amount is based on 50% of SFC’s total CARES Act allocation divided by the number of eligible students.
CARES Act grants can only be used for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus, including, but not necessarily limited to, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care.
- Meet Title IV eligibility requirements (have a completed 2019-2020 FAFSA on file) and be in academic good standing.
- U.S citizen or eligible non-citizen (note that international, undocumented, and students enrolled exclusively online on or before March 13 are not eligible for CARES Act emergency grants)
- How many students will receive CARES Act grants, and how much will they receive?
- Will students who just graduated receive assistance?
- How quickly can students receive their CARES Act grant funds?
- Will CARES Act funds affect my current financial aid?
- Will the CARES Act grant be taxable?
- How do I sign up for electronic refund?
- How many SFC students are eligible for a CARES Act grant and how many students have been awarded?