International Students, Apply Now


As an F-1 student you are allowed to work on-campus (without authorization) and off-campus (with authorization).  Speak with your international student advisor before accepting any type to employment to determine if it is allowed.


Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a 9-digit number used for tax purposes and to record your earned wages. Obtaining a social security number is required to any type of employment, on and off-campus.

Who can apply

  • F-1 student working on-campus
  • F-1 students authorized for:
    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
    • Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Documents needed to apply for an SSN

On-campus employment

Off-campus employment (CPT)

Students who are applying for OPT may also apply for an SSN on the Form I-765. If you did not apply for a SSN the same time your completed the Form I-765, you will need to visit a local Social Security office and submit the following:

Types of Employment