Center for Advancement of Faculty Excellence
Center for Advancement of Faculty Excellence (CAFE)
Rooted in a long history of faculty achievement and commitment to student success at St. Francis College, the Center for Advancement of Faculty Excellence (CAFE) serves as a locus of support for the faculty of St. Francis.
In response to the needs of faculty, the CAFE promotes research, innovation, and high-quality academic engagement through an evidence-based, equity-minded approach to teaching, learning, and faculty development.
In its work, the CAFE supports a wide range of institutional goals in alignment with the College’s strategic plan. In particular, the CAFE promotes academic excellence and accessibility within “a diverse learning environment that prioritizes the dignity of all members of our community.”
The CAFE works collaboratively within St. Francis College to advance teaching, learning, and faculty development. We are committed to the following shared goals:
- Work with faculty to implement innovative instructional design and curriculum development methods that positively impact student success (1.1, 1.2).
- Provide guidance and training that supports faculty in strengthening classroom assessment measures to more effectively gauge student achievement and identify areas of need (1.1, 1.2).
- Share resources, scholarship, and best practices on student-centered pedagogies and assessment of student learning and make these resources accessible to all members of the St. Francis community (1.1, 1.2).
- Establish and implement internal assessment measures for the efficacy of CAFE initiatives (1.1).
- Advance faculty development at all career stages through mentorship, workshops, and training (1.1).
- Prepare chairs and directors for their roles through leadership development and training (1.1).
- Support all faculty members through periods of transition and the changing landscape of higher education (1.1).
- Promote faculty excellence and innovation by showcasing teaching, research, and scholarship to foster further achievements (1.1).
- Connect faculty with colleagues throughout St. Francis College to facilitate the sharing of resources, mentorship, and opportunities related to teaching, service, and scholarship (1.1).
- Offer inclusive, accessible, and equitable opportunities for part-time faculty members to engage across the St. Francis community (1.1).
- Support college-wide efforts to expand co-curricular opportunities across campus and develop co-curricular maps that increase student awareness of and engagement with co-curricular opportunities (1.2, 1.3).
- Welcome and advocate for equitable and diverse perspectives and backgrounds to support faculty in creating learning spaces and experiences that are accessible and inclusive of all members of the St. Francis community (3.2, 3.3).
Faculty can visit the CAFE Canvas page to view upcoming events, resources for teaching and learning, assessment, and scholarship, and news about scholarly and creative works throughout the College.
We also send out a weekly e-newsletter, The CAFE Weekly Blend.