International Students, Apply Now

International Students

At St. Francis College, we are proud of the wide variety of cultures and ethnicities that are represented by our student body. Our international students come from all parts of the world to study in Brooklyn, NY, one of the most diverse urban areas in the United States.


My admissions check list:

All International students must provide the following:

  • Completed online application
  • Transcripts from high school (translated)
  • Proof of high school completion (diploma)
  • TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo exam results
  • Translated transcripts from any college/university (if applicable)

Who is an International Student?

A student is considered “international” if they are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. The term assigned to describe international students by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is called “F-1,” and is used interchangeably to describe both legal status and visa type.

An international student may apply as either a first-time freshman or as a transfer student from their home country. They may also apply as a transfer from a U.S. institution, if already studying in the U.S.

International Admissions and International Student Programs and Services

  • International Student Programs and Services

St. Francis College fully complies with the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), which operates under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. As an SEVP-certified school, the College is authorized by federal law to enroll non-immigrant F-1 students for the purpose of completing a degree.

After you have been formally accepted into the college, your focus should now shift towards obtaining lawful F-1 status and a visa if you are applying from outside of the United States.

Before reviewing the requirements to be considered F-1, you should familiarize yourself with the difference between the terms status and visa.

  • Status refers to the amount of time granted to you to participate in an activity; in this case, it is the amount of time given to you to complete a degree.
  • Visa refers only to the document (a sticker or "foil") placed into your passport which allows you to lawfully travel to the United States.

Think of the student visa as the key to your house: you need it to enter, but once inside, it serves no purpose. This applies to the status/visa relationship, with the visa being secondary to status. F-1 students must observe all regulations associated with international study to remain in lawful, good standing, or “in-status.” The document which demonstrates F-1 status is called the Form I-20.

Form I-20 is the next document you will need after you have been accepted. It allows you to apply for a student visa at the U.S. embassy in your country.

To obtain Form I-20, you must view the checklist titled "Documents required for an I-20" and submit it with the necessary information. You will find helpful instructions on each form's instructions.

Once this is completed, St. Francis College will send you your original, signed Form I-20 to the address you provided on the International Student Information Sheet.

If you are already enrolled in a high school, college, or university in the U.S. as an F-1 student, you will need a Form I-20 from St. Francis College. To do this, your current international student advisor would need to transfer your SEVIS record to us. Information about this can be found on the SEVIS Transfer-In Form.

For more information about the I-20 process, please contact:
Grayson Savoie
Assistant Director of International Student Programs and Services
Room 2302

Arrival at St. Francis College

Each student’s academic and immigration situation is unique. Therefore, it is recommended that you schedule an appointment with the Office of International Student Programs and Services (OISPS) so your questions can be addressed as accurately as possible. To better assist you in maintaining your status, here are some general points of responsibility to which you must adhere in order to stay “in-status.”

  • You must report to the OISPS immediately upon arrival. Please bring a color copy of your passport identification page, color copy of your student visa, and a copy of your Form I-20.
  • For your first entry for initial school attendance, the school listed on your visa and your Form I-20 must be the same, and that is the school you must attend.
  • Each academic semester (fall/spring) you are required to register for a full course of study, which is a minimum of 12 credits. The only exceptions are during the winter/summer semesters or if you have been approved in advance by the OISPS for a reduced course load.
  • Make normal progress towards completing your course of study by completing your program before the end date listed on your Form I-20.
  • Refrain from off-campus employment unless authorized by OISPS.
  • Ensure the program completion date on your Form I-20 accurately reflects the date you are expected to obtain your degree.
  • Keep your Form I-20 valid by following proper procedures to change your education level, program of study, extend your stay, and/or transfer to another school.
  • Report a change of address within 10 days of the change so your record in SEVIS can be updated. Failure to do so could result in your SEVIS record being terminated.
  • After you have completed your studies, you are authorized to remain in the U.S. for no longer than 60 days. This grace period does not apply if you have followed the correct procedures to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), advancing to the next higher education level, or have initiated a school transfer.
  • Ensure you follow any special reporting requirements requested by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Ensure that your passport and Form I-20 remain valid at all times.
  • Speak with the Office of International Student and Programs about any concerns you may have regarding your immigration status. We are here to help!

English Language Proficiency Requirements

We require all applicants whose first language is not English to adequately demonstrate English competency as a part of the application process. Students may demonstrate competency by submitting scores from IELTS (International English Language Testing System), TOEFL or Duolingo. (Our institution requires an overall band score of a 6.0 or higher on the IELTS.)

Please contact the test center directly where you took the IELTS test or other and request that your official test scores be sent to the address below. We do not accept unofficial Test Report Forms from students. An institutional code is NOT required. Test scores must be received prior to the start of classes.

Submit to:
St. Francis College
Admissions Office/International
180 Remsen Street
Brooklyn, New York 11201, USA

Meet Rochella Providence '20

Meet Tadeu Rodrigues '20



To learn about the international student admission process, please contact:

Office of Admissions

For information about the I-20 process and what to do after you have been admitted, contact:
Grayson Savoie
Assistant Director of International Student Programs and Services
Room 2302

Upcoming Events


St. Francis College is in Brooklyn Heights, a lively residential neighborhood at a global crossroads.

A hallmark of the St. Francis experience: students working together.
Our residence hall, on a quiet street in Brooklyn Heights.
Remsen Street—our front door, and a gateway to Brooklyn and beyond.
The architectural signature of Brooklyn Heights: brownstone apartments.
The pride of New York City: the Empire State Building
Manhattan’s jewel: Central Park.
One World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan, just across the bridge.
You could walk to Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge.
The trendy DUMBO neighborhood, under the Manhattan Bridge.
The rush of Broadway is a short subway ride away.