St. Francis College proudly hosted its 2nd Annual College-Wide Entrepreneurial Pitch Contest April 12, 2018, bringing together 9 student-entrepreneurs to compete for $3,500 in prizes.
International Cultural Studies
A Variety of Perspectives on our Common Culture
From Banking and Commerce to Government and the Arts, a degree in International Cultural Studies prepares you to take a seat at the table in our globalized world.
A degree in International Cultural Studies will prepare you to enter an increasingly globalized economy and job market.
Your St. Francis College professors will teach you about the integral role culture plays in our interconnected world. The major offers three areas of study:
- International Business
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- or Western Europe.
The department also offers courses in foreign languages and fine arts. In addition, by taking advantage of our study abroad programs, internship opportunities, and a variety of cultural events that use New York City as an extended classroom, you will gain real-world experience and a competitive edge.
The department’s mission is to participate in and contribute to the College’s mission by offering, through our various courses, programs, and majors, a fundamental and thorough education in the liberal arts and concurrently by correlating the benefits of a liberal education with specific major-field studies (e.g., International Cultural Studies).
Through its courses in the General Education Program, the department strives to create a firm foundation for students’ education, thus providing them with fundamentals for living a fulfilling life. While pursuing their separate major programs, students also are exposed to the humanistic values of a liberal education as signified by the department’s role in the general education program.
Through course offerings in foreign languages, the fine arts, and international cultural studies, the students learn to appreciate the complexities of the multicultural society in which we live. At the same time, the department supports the College curriculum by contributing to the educational
Imploring the graduates to 'Stand up and yell," WNBC 4 New York Anchor and Reporter David Ushery commended the Class of 2018 for overcoming obstacles and doing the work necessary to reach Spring Commencement on May 17 at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island.
Health Care institutions make up the top five employers in New York City and New York State and now St. Francis College offers a way for you to take advantage of the numerous jobs in the industry with its new Master's Degree in Management.
Leading by example, Valerie Kaufmann '18 will share her successes and hopes to make the world a better place when she delivers her Valedictory Address on Thursday, May 17 at the Ford Amphitheater on the Coney Island Boardwalk at 12:00pm.
The St. Francis College Thomas More Pre-Law Society held a debate April 27, 2018 to consider the question: Are the Trump Administration'sImmigration Policies Good for America?
A surprise honor for retiring Accounting Professor Geoffrey Horlick was one of the highlights of St. Francis College's 134th Charter Day Convocation held April 27, 2018
- Provide courses in foreign languages, fine arts, and international cultural studies that complement and help complete the College’s liberal arts curriculum and which, in the case of art and music, serve as essential elements of the General Education Program.
- Help prepare students in ICS and Spanish majors for meaningful careers in a broad range of areas, such as business, government, law, teaching, and social services.
Provide minor concentrations in music, fine arts, foreign languages, and international studies as a significant supplement to the student’s chosen major.
- Develop in all students an appreciation of cultural and linguistic diversity and offer an in-depth understanding of those cultures the students choose to investigate.
Develop in all students, particularly the ICS and Spanish majors, the knowledge and skills needed for graduate studies.
- Enrich students’ academic experiences at the College through a wide variety of cultural experiences, such as concerts on and off campus, museum tours, architectural field trips, and other social events that draw upon the city’s cultural richness.
- Offer to departmental majors and interested students from other departments the opportunity for internships and study abroad in contexts appropriate to their academic interest.
- Students will effectively demonstrate an understanding of concepts from their courses in written and oral form.
- Students will analyze works of art and music using the appropriate vocabulary of each discipline.
- Students will speak, write, read, and exhibit an understanding of languages, cultures, and literature in Spanish, French, or Italian.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to live in and understand a foreign culture for a period of a month or a year.
- St. Francis College Programs of Study 85
Students will derive valuable work experience in an internship that could lead not only to future career opportunities and but also to an engagement in the global community.