Sixty-two graduates from the St. Francis College Class of 2019 will be joined by family and friends for the College's winter 2019 commencement ceremony at the St. Charles Borromeo Church in Brooklyn on Tuesday, January 22 at 4 p.m. A Baccalaureate Mass will be held at 3 p.m. before the commencement ceremony begins.
International Cultural Studies
A Variety of Perspectives on Our Common Culture
From Banking and Commerce to Government and the Arts, a degree in International Cultural Studies prepares you to take a seat at the table in our globalized world.
A degree in International Cultural Studies will prepare you to enter an increasingly globalized economy and job market.
Your St. Francis College professors will teach you about the integral role culture plays in our interconnected world. The major offers three areas of study:
- International Business
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- or Western Europe.
The department also offers courses in foreign languages and fine arts. In addition, by taking advantage of our study abroad programs, internship opportunities, and a variety of cultural events that use New York City as an extended classroom, you will gain real-world experience and a competitive edge.
The department’s mission is to participate in and contribute to the College’s mission by offering, through our various courses, programs, and majors, a fundamental and thorough education in the liberal arts and concurrently by correlating the benefits of a liberal education with specific major-field studies (e.g., International Cultural Studies).
Through its courses in the General Education Program, the department strives to create a firm foundation for students’ education, thus providing them with fundamentals for living a fulfilling life. While pursuing their separate major programs, students also are exposed to the humanistic values of a liberal education as signified by the department’s role in the general education program.
Through course offerings in foreign languages, the fine arts, and international cultural studies, the students learn to appreciate the complexities of the multicultural society in which we live.
Kouyoumdjian's performance, "Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month," will feature several works by Spanish composers, including Fernando Sor and Isaac Albéniz, as well as two Brazilian composers.
For college students to succeed in our modern economy, there is no substitute for hands-on experience. SFC Innovate, is a new office dedicated to enhancing co-curricular experiences and career exploration. This is a partnership between St. Francis College and Ikove Venture Partners.
St. Francis College is proud to announce that prospective students, freshmen and transfers, now have another option when applying to become a Terrier, using the Common App.
The American Dream says that anyone with drive and determination can achieve success. But is that true for all Americans? Was it ever the case, or just a myth? Dean Kathleen Gray of St. Francis College created The Neighborhood Game as a way for participants to explore ideas on race and inequality in America.
- Provide courses in foreign languages, fine arts, and international cultural studies that complement and help complete the College’s liberal arts curriculum and which, in the case of art and music, serve as essential elements of the General Education Program.
- Help prepare students in ICS and Spanish majors for meaningful careers in a broad range of areas, such as business, government, law, teaching, and social services.
Provide minor concentrations in music, fine arts, foreign languages, and international studies as a significant supplement to the student’s chosen major.
- Develop in all students an appreciation of cultural and linguistic diversity and offer an in-depth understanding of those cultures the students choose to investigate.
Develop in all students, particularly the ICS and Spanish majors, the knowledge and skills needed for graduate studies.
- Enrich students’ academic experiences at the College through a wide variety of cultural experiences, such as concerts on and off campus, museum tours, architectural field trips, and other social events that draw upon the city’s cultural richness.
- Offer to departmental majors and interested students from other departments the opportunity for internships and study abroad in contexts appropriate to their academic interest.
- Students will effectively demonstrate an understanding of concepts from their courses in written and oral form.
- Students will analyze works of art and music using the appropriate vocabulary of each discipline.
- Students will speak, write, read, and exhibit an understanding of languages, cultures, and literature in Spanish, French, or Italian.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to live in and understand a foreign culture for a period of a month or a year.
- St. Francis College Programs of Study 85
Students will derive valuable work experience in an internship that could lead not only to future career opportunities and but also to an engagement in the global community.