Make the World a Healthier Place
A sound body leads to a sound mind. Becoming a Physical Education teacher is an amazing way to reach thousands of children and help make the world a healthier place. A sound body leads to a sound mind.
The Physical Education Major is part of the Education Department and boosts a highly successful track record, putting many students on the path for a variety of careers.
Many graduates have gone on to earn their New York State Teacher’s Certification in Physical Education and are now teaching in New York City public and private schools as well as across the region. Others pursue careers as personal and team trainers, coaches, sports psychologists and physical therapists.
- Psychology of Sport,
- Motor Learning,
- Adapted PE
- The study of human movement,
- Exercise physiology,
- Legal concepts,
- Practical teaching skills,
- and, Assessment of physical education
The goals of the St. Francis Physical Education Program are to prepare teachers who are:
- Familiar with the New York State Learning Standards in Physical Education.
- Familiar with current research and practices in Physical Education.
- Disposed to be reflective, caring learners who strive for excellence in teaching.
- Models of health and fitness and active, informed citizens who are committed to lifelong learning.
- Committed to continually increase their knowledge of content and pedagogy.
- Determined to create a classroom environment where health, fitness, and good sportsmanship are a priority.
- Effective communicators to learners, parents, and peers.
Advocates for health, fitness, and integrated learning.