They come from New York City and around the world; St. Francis College students and faculty who work together for the common goal of improving themselves and the world around them.
Make the World a Healthier Place
A sound body leads to a sound mind. Becoming a Physical Education teacher is an amazing way to reach thousands of children and help make the world a healthier place.
A sound body leads to a sound mind.
The Physical Education Major is part of the Education Department and boosts a highly successful track record, putting many students on the path for a variety of careers.
- Psychology of Sport,
- Motor Learning,
- Adapted PE
- The study of human movement,
- Exercise physiology,
- Legal concepts,
- Practical teaching skills,
- and, Assessment of physical education
In a deeply personal address with anecdotes about his family and an exploration of the mission of college education in the modern day, St. Francis College President Miguel Martinez-Saenz laid out an ambitious plan setting the College on a path of growth and transformation.
The Class of 2018 is honored at Winter Commencement.
The words of poet Maya Angelou were the first ones uttered by President Miguel Martinez-Saenz to a standing room only crowd of prospective students and their parents at the St. Francis College Open House in October. They knew, right away, this new president was energized with new ways to engage and educate the entire college community.
Now a few months into his tenure as the 19th President in its 160 year history, St. Francis College is proud to announce a series of events celebrating the inauguration of President Miguel Martinez-Saenz.
While students are still getting used to their new schedule, they received some reaffirming news about the decision they made to attend St. Francis College, as U.S. News & World Report ranked St. Francis on 5 Best lists for the 2018 year including Best Regional Colleges in the North, Least Debt, and Best in Ethnic Diversity
With a new president ready to begin the school year, St. Francis College heads into the Labor Day weekend with an honor from Washington Monthly magazine, named for a second year in a row as a Best Bang for the Buck among colleges in the northeast.
The goals of the St. Francis Physical Education Program are to prepare teachers who are:
- Familiar with the New York State Learning Standards in Physical Education.
- Familiar with current research and practices in Physical Education.
- Disposed to be reflective, caring learners who strive for excellence in teaching.
- Models of health and fitness and active, informed citizens who are committed to lifelong learning.
- Committed to continually increase their knowledge of content and pedagogy.
- Determined to create a classroom environment where health, fitness, and good sportsmanship are a priority.
- Effective communicators to learners, parents, and peers.
Advocates for health, fitness, and integrated learning.